Sunday 7 November 2010

A letter from a Commander's wife to Serena Joy

Dear Serena Joy,
I am writing to you in hope of recieving a reply very soon! I hope you are doing well. I was thinking of getting in touch with you ealier than the time it has come to but I have been so occupied with numerous other things such as knitting and organising a birthday party, I will be explaining to you further on in the letter.

Since I have finally found the time, I thought it would be perfect to reconnect with you and see how you have been. Are you gradually becoming better and better at knitting? I have to say, many of my friends have complimented the fine definition they have witnessed in the way I knit, something I have learnt to do over time. What kind of hobbies do you have Serena? Apart from knitting, it will be interesting to know if you have any amusing skills!

I would just like to add Serena, I absoloutley despise all Handmaids! Has you're Handmaid conceived yet? Oh, how painful it is to be watching such intimacy between the Handmaid and the Commander. It pierces right through me, but then I remember it is all for a good cause. I want a child, I want someone I can bring up, I want to be a mother so why not? There is no harm, right... there is no loss, just gain. So, I forget about my emotional pain and look at the brigther side. The Handmaid at my house is called OfSola. What is yours called? It is rather a peculiar question but I just suddenly felt interested in asking you!

I drove around some areas of Gilead after I was allowed the permission of my Commander. It was nice to get a breath of fresh air! It gives me a content, good feeling. To see the blue clear sky and some nature still present in Gilead. Takes me into another world, a world not so different, but yet still very different. I felt a deep adrelanine rush through me with excitement as I remembered that it is my birthday very soon! So here goes the invite...

Serena, my dear friend, you are invited! I would love it if you can come! It is on the 24th of July, I would appreciate it so much if you would be able to attend. As you know, you are one of my close friends and I would be very much dishearted if you can't be present on such a special day. All the wives will be getting together, sharing laughter and having a good time, I want you to be there, to be a part of it all. It has been a very long time since we have all congregated and I thought my birthday would be a perfect excuse just for that to take place!

Looking forward to reading you're reply Serena.

Take care of yourself,

Noor Solaa

7 comments:

  1. okay no seriously...
    www:
    got a few creative ideas
    good vocab
    good grammar

    ebi:
    could have added more creative thoughts and reeled the reader in

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it possible to know the date of birth?

    SOme references to the text but there was a chance to explore what you know about the lives of wives and of Serena in greater detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WWW: good detail and use of language

    EBI: be more creative?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. www: few creative imagery, good grammer.

    ebi- write more about her feelings, and how she feels about the handmaid in her life. Created the invitation seperate to the letter as it makes it more formal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WWW - Good description, very long and refers to the novel
    EBI - Grammar

    ReplyDelete
  6. www: the letter contained feelings of the wife in detail and the structure is good
    ebi: feelings towards her handmaid's

    ReplyDelete